RSCJ Uganda/Kenya Province | Our story

Our Story

OUR FOUNDRESS - MADELEINE SOPHIE BARAT

"Born in France on the eve of the Revolution, Madeleine Sophie Barat founded the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1800. This community of women developed an educational project which was rooted in France and soon spread internationally. Sophie Barat led this rapidly expanding congregation of women for sixty-three years; by the time of her death the Society numbered 3,359 members."1 Read more

1Extract from: Madeleine Sophie Barat - A Life, Phil Kilroy, RSCJ

OUR FIRST MISSIONARY - PHILIPPINE DUCHESNE

ROSE PHILIPPINE DUCHESNE was born on August 29, 1769 in Grenoble, France. She was educated at the Convent of the Visitation of Ste. Marie d'en Haut, then, drawn to the contemplative life, she became a novice there when she was 18 years old. At the time of the Revolution in France, the community was dispersed and Philippine returned to her family home, spending her time caring for the poor and sick and helping priests who had gone underground. When the political situation improved, she returned to the Monastery and tried with some companions to begin Religious life there again but without success. Read more

OUR GREAT EDUCATOR AND SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR - JANET ERSKINE STUART

Janet Erskine Stuart was born in Cottesmore, Rutland, on October 11th 1857, the youngest daughter of a Church of England clergyman. As a teenager she began searching for the meaning of life which led her to become a Roman Catholic at the age of twenty-one and subsequently three years later to become a nun in the Society of the Sacred Heart. From the time Janet Stuart made final profession, she held leadership roles, first as Mistress of Novices, then as Superior, and finally as Superior General of the Society of the Sacred Heart, a position she held from August 27th 1911 until her death on October 21st 1914.Read more

Our Beginnings in Uganda/Kenya

In 1962 at the invitation of Late Archbishop Joseph Kiwanuka we were invited to come and serve in the education of young women who wanted to be teachers. On 19th January 1962, six Religious of the Sacred Heart the Society arrived in Nkozi TTC. Two years later we were invited by the late Bishop Adrian Ddungu of Masaka to replace the Grail sisters In Bulinda, Christ the King, Kalisizo. In 1970 it was decided unanimously by our Sisters that we go to those less favoured, to the children in the country who received no education. And so in 1971, we left Christ the King Kalisizo to go to Karamoja, to begin with to teach at Moroto TTC and in 1981 to Kangole Girls Secondary School to teach and take on the administration of the school, which we continue to this time. Read more